Thursday, April 23, 2009

Books of the Week


This week was a pretty good one for reading, since I had the luxury of a few days off last week. I made it through:

Gone , by Michael Grant:A post-apocalypse setting/theme, which I'm predicting is the trend that will follow supernaturals in YA, now that the Twilight craze is simmering down. Oh, that and superpowers. Superpowers are going to be huge.
Getting back on track, Gone was a very well-paced book. It was a long book, which may put reluctant readers off, but once you get into it it's not overwhelming in the least. Sam and Astrid are divinely funny and brave, and Caine, Diana, and the rest of the "bullies," are realistic enough to be absolutely terrifying. Very much looking forward to the next book in May.

Nation , by Terry Pratchett: I had a lot of fun reading this one. I like Pratchett's dry, whimsical style--it gives you a giggle in unexpected places. It's been a while since I read something of his; he's been getting a little too theological for my tastes, and he did go into the Gods and their games in Nation, but it was easy to ignore in light of the fantastic characters, Ermintru--er, Daphne and Mau, a young Victorian English girl and a South Pacific native boy thrown together when a tidal wave leaves them stranded together on Mau's island.

Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1) , Flyte (Septimus Heap, Book 2) , and Physik (Septimus Heap, Book 3) , by Angie Sage: I read Magyk a few years back and always meant to pick up the next books, but of course they got lost in Jackie's Endless Book Wish List. The first book, Magyk, was wonderful, and both Flyte and Physik were great, although these two had a tendency to lose me a little bit. I'll definitely be getting the next one, especially since Sage left two of my favorite characters in a very precarious position, but probably on eBook, as my public library only has 1-3. The book follows Septimus Heap,wizard and seventh son of a seventh son, and his adopted sister, Jenna, changeling princess, through a series of adventures, helped by a really stellar supporting cast. Reminds me of Harry Potter in more ways than just the obvious.

Well, that's all I've got for this week. I have absolutely no idea what I'll be reading next week, since Amazon is taking their sweet time delivering the ton of books I've ordered, but stay tuned!


No comments: