Monday, April 27, 2009

Don't Panic...


Everybody’s freaking out about the swine flu, including myself, since I work in a health care setting, and will probably be performing the flu testing everyone’s talking about on patients. So, to keep myself from freaking out, I made this small list of cheerful reminders about the outbreak.

-Out of an estimated 1400 people sickened in Mexico, only 86 have died. I would call those good betting odds.

-There have been 20 cases of swine flu reported in the United States. None of those have been fatal. Remember, there are drastic differences between the health care system in Mexico and the health care system in the United States. Not only are our hospitals and doctors better equipped, but patients have an easier time getting the treatments they need.

-This is not a pandemic, not even close. In the flu pandemic in 1918-1919, forty MILLION people worldwide died. And this was still in the days when people used chamberpots and took medicines with cocaine in them. We’ve come a long way since then.

-You don’t need to put on a respirator mask just yet. Wash your hands, take your vitamins, postpone the trip to see Granny in the nursing home, and don’t share beverages.

I hope this made you feel better; I know I feel better now. Drink your orange juice and stay healthy!


Buy Surviving Serendipity at Amazon or Quake Direct!

No comments: