Thursday, December 6, 2007

A birthing sensation that's rocking the nation...

According to statistics, teen pregnancies rose 3% last year, the highest climb since the seventies. Could Bush's "abstinence only" sex-ed program be to blame? That's where my money is, especially combined with the latest statistics on the climb in new teen HIV infections.
However, one blogger disagrees...and has her sights set on another culprit. Angelina Jolie. Yes, that's right. Apparently, Angelina has made motherhood look so cool and effortless, adolescents can't wait to get "up the stick." (Note: while I disagree with this person's opinion, I can't suppress a small thrill at this new, clever phraseology.)
Now, I grant teens are impressionable, but we do have to give them a small measure of credit here. I have a very hard time believing even the most impressionable teenager would go out and impregnate herself, invoking the ire of her parents and community and ruining her future, for the sake of a chubby hip ornament.
Well, I guess I should be thankful for one thing...if stupid people didn't open their mouths, what would I have to talk about?

No comments: