Wednesday, March 4, 2009

You Spin Me Right Round...



As you know, I took a road trip with my mother to SC this past weekend to the South Carolina Book Festival. What I didn’t have a chance to write about was the trip back on Monday.


The picture above is of me, at a rest stop in North Carolina. Yes, I said Carolina, not Dakota. The state got hit with its worst storm in years, with snow totals of 4-9 inches around Charlotte. This made for a really stressful trip north, especially when we spun out on I-77 and went flying completely off the road into a luckily clear patch just before an entrance ramp. We weren’t hurt and the car wasn’t damaged, so I considered us lucky, even more so when we were caught in a traffic jam a few miles down, caused by an accident where someone had to be airlifted to the hospital.


I saw more accidents happen as we were driving than I’ve seen in my entire life. People were spinning into guardrails and each other, and I probably saw about thirty cars in various states of oops in the median and on the sides of the road. It seemed, though, that with the exception of the accident we passed, no one got hurt.


And now, for the rant. I know North Carolina doesn’t get a whole heck of a lot of snow. But, obviously, they DO get it. And it’s not that they don’t have plow and salt trucks—we saw them. (One was attempting to plow and making more of a mess than he’d started with by not putting the plow blade all the way down, and another had spun off into the median.) The problem really seemed to be that they didn’t know what to do with the equipment.




So, please, NC, send your DOT guys up to Pennsylvania for a while, and we’ll train them up good on snow removal.




Beware the sound of crying children, watch out for the barmaids, and whatever you do, don't let the Pegasus spit on you.
Surviving Serendipity--http://www.sylvaniamania.com

1 comment:

Regan Black said...

I'm just so glad you're home safe! It's too bad the PA plow drivers haven't had enough of a break to pick up some extra shifts down south.
Stay warm, spring's around the corner.

Regan
http://www.regansrealm.blogspot.com